spoon

FISH MONGERS - MANLY - RESTAURANT REVIEW

0

Category : , , ,

As part of the Greek Orthodox religion we are not supposed to eat meat on Wednesday or Friday as part of our faith, with Wednesday symbolising the day in which Judas betrayed Jesus and Friday the day in which Jesus was crucified.  

With my sister at a party and the rest of my family away, my mum and I found ourselves craving some fish.

With the Fish and Chips shop we hoped to order from closed, we found ourselves stumbling upon a local cafĂ© style Fish and Chips shop called “Fish Mongers” located in Manly.

At first glance the menu seemed ordinary, just your standard fish and chip shop menu with calamari, prawns, oysters etc, but it was far from it.

This restaurant was a break away from the traditional, boring and often fatty style of fish and chips. It was an exciting and refreshing way to eat fish, which I often find myself not a fan of.
Choosing to stay and eat in rather than having the food as takeaway, we both ordered herb crusted grilled salmon. I chose the side dish of hand cut chips and mum chose it with rice. The service was really quick…I even mentioned to my mum, “how come it never takes us this long to cook fish” …she wasn’t too impressed… :)

The food came presented in a clever plastic square bowl, which made the meal look absolutely mouth watering…I’m even drooling now just thinking about it (see picture).

From the first mouthfull, the balance of all the flavours was divine. It was light and refreshing, just the right balance of salt and mixture of all the other flavours. The fish nor chips were greasy like other fish and chip shops…it didn’t leave me regretting eating it, by the end of it. Their signature crunchy, thinly sliced, Kumara (sweet potato) chips added an extra bit of flavour that kept the balance of the meal just right. The extra condiment of the wasabi mayonnaise worked perfectly with the meal and was quite moorish, even though I do not like wasabi.

Researching into this restaurant a little, I found that there are several stores open throughout NSW including one in Bondi Beach and Byron Bay; and that it has had several good reviews about it from the “Good Food Guide” and “The Sydney Morning Herald”, stating such things as “…All sorts of great fish cooked in the way you prefer…served in a big box with, fat, hand cut, skin on chips…” and “…style setting fish and chip shop…”.
If any one finds themselves at Manly craving some fish and chips, believe me when I say this…YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY TRY THIS FISH AND CHIP SHOP!!!!


LOCATION:      Rialto Square, Shop 4, 11-27 Wentworth St, Manly, NSW, 2095

HOURS:            Open Monday to Sunday, noon – 9pm
                (Open on public holidays)

PRICES:           Although can be a bit pricey – it depends on the meal you get.
CONTACT:       Email: http://mongers.com.au/manly.html
                           Phone: 9977 1777

Hope you enjoy this restaurant as much as i did... take a few of your friends, the atmosphere is great and you will not regret it.  Let me know how you find it.

Kali Orexi 
  Foodling 1. 

Post a comment